This Next Generation Science Standards-based workshop will explore Earth and Space Science core idea “Earth and Human Activity” as an engaging and relevant context for teaching and learning. Workshop activities will include:
– Making a Terrarium: Understanding the Water Cycle
– Designing Symbols about Water
– Creating a Poster: Watershed & Pollution Awareness
- Discover connections between the Next Generation Science Standards, the Common Core State Standards, and art and design
- Learn fundamental, interdisciplinary science concepts
- Engage in three design projects/activities about the importance of water and how human activity impacts our watershed and the ocean.
- Acquire tools and confidence to support your transition to the NGSS.
This workshop is designed for teachers of grades 4-9. School administrators, pre-service teachers,
and others interested in the NGSS and in integrating science with art and design and other disciplines are also welcome to attend.
When and Where Saturday, November 19, 2016
9 am – 3:30 pm in Duncan Hall Rm 306, San Jose State University
Michele Guieu (Teaching Artist at Montalvo Arts Center)
Elizabeth Walsh (SJSU Meteorology and Climate Science/Science Education)
Ellen Metzger (SJSU Geology/Science Education)